Saturday, July 4, 2009

1. Hadhrat Ibn Amr (Radhiyallaho anho) burns his sheet.

Hadhrat Abdullah Ibn Amr ibnul Aas (Radhiyallaho anho) says:

“Once we were accompanying the Prophet (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam) on a journey. I went to see him and I was wearing a saffron coloured sheet. He said to me, ‘What is this that you are wearing?’ I felt that he did not like my wearing a dress of that colour. When I reached home, I found a fire burning in my hearth. I threw my garment into the fire. The next day when I went to the Prophet (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam), he inquired, ‘Where is that sheet?’ I told him what I had done with it. He remarked, “You could have given it to one of the ladies in your house, women are permitted to wear clothes of that colour.”

In fact, Abdullah was so much perturbed at the Prophet (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam’s) displeasure that he did not hesitate to avail of the first opportunity of doing away with the sheet that caused the displeasure. He did not even think of making any other use of that garment. If we had been in his place, we would have through of some excuse or the other for keeping it, or at least finding some other use of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment